Friday, March 15, 2013

The Beginnings of a Journey

"You should come work with us in Guatemala!"

I smiled back at Hector.  "We'll see."

Hector Rivas, an endearing man from Guatemala with a contagious smile and a disarming demeanor, sat in the 15 passenger van with his cousin Rogelio Rivas and several others as I drove them from the Philadelphia airport to Akron, Pennsylvania.  Everyone in the van had arrived for HOPE International's annual leadership summit, a special week where select staff from HOPE's overseas programs would travel to Akron for fellowship, worship, and many many meetings.

Latin, African, European, Asian, and American believers packed together in a meeting room for one busy week to discuss the building of God's kingdom.  It was a beautiful sight to behold.

Hector and Rogelio were there representing The Potters House, a faith-based non-profit located in one of the most unlikely places: a garbage dump, in the heart of Guatemala City.  The dump is enormous, responsible even for deaths caused by avalanches of trash.

11,000 people live in and around this dump--traveling daily to sift through the trash for food, household items, or toys they can give their children.  These people are exposed to harmful chemicals, fumes, sharp and rusty metal, and crime.  This is the community in which The Potter's House works.

While driving to Akron, Hector, Rogelio, and I conversed in a mixture of English and Spanish.  We were practicing our second languages. "I agree, you should come down and work with us in Guatemala." said Rogelio.  Upon hearing Rogelio's words, I felt a subtle nudge that I discerned was from God.  Over the next few months, God would continue to nudge me to reach out to Hector and Rogelio, but I never did.

In October 2012, I received an email from Rogelio inviting me to come down to work with The Potters House.  Another nudge, and this time I caved in.  Over the next few weeks, Rogelio and I would, with much prayer, devise a plan for me to visit The Potter's House in Guatemala City and film videos for them.

From March 15 to April 15th I'll be in Guatemala working to help The Potter's House get the word out about what they do.  I'll be using this blogs to give you regular (hopefully) updates on what God is doing there!

I'm excited to see this blog evolve from posts about "the people living in the dump" to stories about individuals, their personalities, and how God is working in their lives.  The Potter's House likes to say that, although most people don't expect to find treasure in a dump, they have found treasures there: the people.

Many people have asked me how they can pray for me while I'm in Guatemala.  I'll send prayer requests with each of my posts. For now, I'll begin with this request: please pray that God would humble me to a point of complete reliance on Him to do a good work in me.

Thank you to my First Pres. family for supporting me so generously.  If I may say so myself, I think we make a pretty awesome congregation. :)

Blessings,
Joe Dorris

If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation to my upcoming trip my work in Guatemala, please see the instructions at the bottom of this blog.

4 comments:

  1. We're standing with you in prayer, Joe--God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad. You've always been behind me...except when we ride bicycles. Somehow you seem to kick my butt.

      Delete
  2. Good luck Joe! We'll check back to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunt Ginny! So good to have your support.

      Delete